Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Day of Great Deals

Recently, I've been on the quest to cut some of our family spending by using coupons. I was actually introduced to this new world of couponing by a somewhat unlikely source, my big brother Kyle. He told me about this website which is packed full of coupons and great deals. There is also the world of CVS shopping which I will get into in another post. However, on the Money Saving Mom website I found out about a great freebie at TGI Fridays. This isn't actually one of my favorite restaurants. But, if it's eating free food at a restaurant, I'm inclined to check it out (I love eating out!) So, Wes and I went to TGI Fridays and used our 2 free appetizer coupons. They let us use two because we were paying separately. On top of that, each coupon was good for an appetizer valued at $8. It just so happened that we went during happy hour where select appetizers were $4 each. Our waitress actually let us order 2 appetizers per coupon. Therefore, we got to order 4 appetizers for free! Now, I'm not sure that all of the waiters/waitresses would let us do that but God showed us favor! If that weren't enough, we got a "surprise" appetizer just for being members of their Stripes club. We were stuffed when we left and it was all free (not including my drink and the tip.) All in all, we ate the entire meal for $6! As a side note, I've discovered that many restaurants offer a free meal or coupon for signing up on their email list. Usually, the offer must be redeemed within 1-2 weeks so it's good to space them out if possible.

After dinner, we went to Ulta so that I could take advantage of more savings on my makeup. Ulta is running a special this month on my foundation, buy one get one free. The regular price is $24.50 so of course I jumped all over that. When I went to check out at the counter, the clerk gave me $5 off for signing up for 2 free magazine issues. The total for the two foundation compacts was $19.50 or $9.75 per compact. What a steal!! I was so excited. I think I've found a new passion - shopping for deals!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have the lust for coupons I once had. This is because I always get the senior discount. See, getting older is not all bad!
There is a good feeling resulting from coupon clipping and other such things that make your money go further. We should not be "tight" but we should be good stewards and "faithfully frugal".
Sounds like you are uncovering a world of saving. I am enjoying reading about it and learning a thing or two from it. I also like your photos!

Anonymous said...

I have been thoroughly impressed by your creativity and hard work. It has paid off (pun intended).