Sunday, May 13, 2007

Marriage and Pinto Beans

Wednesday night, my good pal Kristi called me to catch up. She asked the usual "So what are you up to?" And I replied "I'm just watching tv and cooking some pinto beans." We both got a good laugh out of that! Wow, how things have changed. Before I got married I would never have thought about cooking beans for two hours, watching them carefully, adding water every few minutes so that they don't burn. I mean, you really have to babysit those beans or I guess beansit is a better word. :)

Yes, marriage changes a woman in many ways. For me, cooking was one of those ways. I didn't do very much cooking when I was single (well, to be honest I really didn't cook at all.) I enjoyed eating out quite a bit or sometimes I would just eat cereal for dinner. I didn't care for leftovers so cooking a big meal for one person seemed like a waste of money and food. But cooking for my husband is important to me and something that I do enjoy. It is difficult sometimes though because there's still part of me that would love to just eat out. Let someone else do the cooking for me. But fortunately for me, Wes likes to cook occasionally and he's good at it. It's a real treat for me when he does.

Before we got married, I was concerned that I wouldn't be a good cook. I used to have conversations with my mom about this issue. I told her that if I could just be a tenth of the cook she was that I would be happy (I've said the same thing to her about being a mother which is very true!). She assured me that cooking was in my genes. She didn't cook very much before she got married but she said that she just figured it out, trial and error. That gives me hope, since she is the best cook I know. So far, I would say that cooking has been a success. Wes seems happy with our meals which is what I care about most when I cook. It's funny because every time I cook something new, I have to wait for his reaction to it before I can enjoy my own meal. He is very encouraging and complimentary of my cooking (what a great husband!) I've also learned a lot about leftovers. In general, they are a good thing! They save me from cooking extra meals and we don't waste food. Surprisingly, I've decided that they actually don't taste that bad.

So, the pinto beans turned out pretty well. Wes enjoyed them so it was worth the two hours of beansitting! They still didn't taste as good as my moms but nothing I fix tastes that good. Like I said to her, I will settle for a tenth of her skill. So far I'd say that I've at least got that. I think that's a good place to start.

6 comments:

Ashlee said...

Yeah! You're a blogger now! I love cooking! We all (the young marrieds around) need to get together sometime for a recipe exchange. I'll try to work on finding a date for that. :)

Nick said...

Hey, I just found your blog. Woo hoo!

Jenn said...

Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Pendley! I hope you had a very happy anniversary. How was Prom? I can't wait to hear about it!

Anonymous said...

Maybe this is your chance to make a niche as an expert pinto bean cook. You will be known through out Lexington for your creative and succulent pinto bean dishes. Here is a link to some recipes to get started. I can't wait to try your pinto bean stew!

http://southernfood.about.com/od/pintobeans/Pinto_Bean_Recipes.htm

Anonymous said...

Cooking beans is a great deal like marriage. Pick the best beans (mate) possible, cover with just enough water (love and affection)to heat but not smother, add some spice for taste, watch the pot (marriage) carefully, and stir occasionally, but not to the point of bruising or breaking the beans or the marriage. Also, remember, the beans taste better after two hours than they did when they were first placed in the pot.
The same is true of a good marriage that is nurtured with time and love.
Also, remember, you are as good a mother as your Mom was at this stage of her marriage! I look forward to watching you as a mother and enjoying just how well you will do at it and how much love you will give to your child.

Love,
Daddy

Anonymous said...

I predict that Pinto Beans is just the beginning for you. You have been very successful in all that you have chosen to do, so why should cooking be any different. You have been a most determined young lady from the beginning. Even in the womb you held on and refused to give up on life,all the while the doctor thought I was miscarrying.You insisted on making your bed at 2 1/2 years old. So I believe you will conquer the world of cooking in a very short time. Granny would be very proud as am I.